How many types of computers are there?
Computers have become a very important part in our daily lives. With the advancement of technology, the computers are also becoming more and more advanced. How many types of computers are there ? Now, there are various types of computers based on their processing powers and sizes. Depending on the operational principle of computers, computers are categorized as hybrid computers and analog computers. There are some of the other important types of computers as well. These include Mainframe Computers, Microcomputers.
• Analog Computers – Analog computers can carry out a number of mathematical operations at the same time. Now a day, these types of computers are obsolete.
• Hybrid Computers – These types of computers are a blend of both digital and analog computers.
• Microcomputers – This is a computer having a microprocessor. When a mouse and keyboard is connected, these are called as personal computers. Microcomputers must also have computer memory (RAM) and a power supply unit.
• Mainframe Computers – Mainframe computer are used by the large organizations for highly critical applications. For instance, bulk data processing, ERP, etc. Mainframe computers can also host multiple operating systems as well as they can operate many virtual machines.
When it comes to personal computers, they are of various forms such as desktops, laptops and personal digital assistants. It is always better to gather some information about these computes. Following is a brief discussion about these computers:
• Desktop Computers – Desktop computers have been designed to work on a single location. These types of computers are hugely popular as the spare parts are easily available and they are relatively lower costs. In workplaces and households we mostly see desktops. You can buy a branded desktop computer or build one on your own.
• Laptop Computers – These types of computers are similar in operation to desktops. But the main advantage of laptop computers is their portability. These computers are miniaturized and optimized for mobile use. Laptops mainly run on a single battery and there is an external adapter that charges the computer batteries. Inbuilt keyboard, touch pad acting as a mouse and a LCD or LED are the key feature of a laptop. Laptops are relatively costlier as compared to desktops.
• Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs) – This is also known as Palmtop. In PDAs you will find a touch screen and a memory card which store data. PDAs are widely used web browsing, listening to music and as smart phones. The cost of PDA is much higher than desktops.
• Supercomputers – To perform highly calculation-intensive tasks effectively and efficiently, supercomputers are used. The usage of supercomputer could be seen in weather forecasting, study of molecular theory, Quantum physics, mechanics, etc. These computers have parallel processing ability and well-designed memory hierarchy which allow them a great processing speed.
Now that you know the answer to “How many types of computers are there?”, you can make more informed decisions when choosing what is right for you. But whatever computers you are using, computer problem is a very common thing for the users. To resolve computer problem, you can consult a remote computer repair company. There are many such companies in the market and are quite good to offer tech support for resolving any computer problems.